Monday, April 6, 2015

Cream of Mushroom Chicken

When I was first married and still in school and working, I was always looking for quick and easy meals to make. One night I poured a can of cream of chicken mushroom soup over some chicken breasts, added canned cut green beans, and put it in the oven. It became a favorite. I have since developed my culinary skills and now make it with homemade cream of mushroom soup (modified from this recipe on Happy, Healthy, & Domestic), cubed chicken, and fresh mushroom slices, and I cook it on the stove. It tastes a million times better! I serve it over my homemade rice pilaf, and it has been a hit with everyone to whom I have served it, especially my four-year-old!


Ingredients
  • 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
  • 2 tbs. butter
  • 3 tbs. flour
  • 1 1/4 cup milk (any kind but nonfat)
  • seasonings to taste: I use salt, pepper, minced garlic, oregano, and balsamic vinegar (just a dash)
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms, plus a few chopped into small pieces
  • 1 can cut green beans
Directions
  1. Melt the butter over medium-low heat, sauté the small mushroom pieces, and whisk in the flour. Cook for a couple minutes.
  2. Whisk in the milk and seasonings, bring to a low boil, and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
  3. While the soup is thickening, brown the chicken in a large skillet. Stir in the sliced mushrooms.
  4. Once the chicken and mushrooms are cooked through, pour in the soup, add the green beans, and cook for a few more minutes for the flavors to meld. Add more seasonings if needed.
  5. Serve over rice.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...