Friday, December 30, 2011

Looking Back and Looking Forward

The five goals Little Misters and I had for 2011 and an assessment of how we did:
  1. Work on infant potty training: He was great in the beginning of the year and went downhill in summer.
  2. Learn five ASL signs: Little Misters signs milk, all done, more, please, and up (my own version). He knows potty but doesn't sign it and will copy eat.
  3. Play and read books together: I was inconsistent throughout the year. I read a lot to him when he went through his huge book phase a few months ago and we've been going to the park once a week for the past few months. At home I can improve.
  4. Have a consistent schedule: Check! But now that he is older, I need to make a new one.
  5. Finish organizing and decorating his room: Almost done. I just need to hang up a few more things.
Our goals for 2012:
  1. Work on infant potty training. I want him to at least tell me when he has to poop. I'll start by taking him every hour and diaper change. No more laziness!
  2. Get him sleeping in his crib and waking up no more than once. He was doing great until 9 months hit and so did chaos for three weeks. Since then, every time he made progress something drastic happened, so I gave up. I'm hoping that converting his crib to a toddler bed might help because I can lie with him in his bed to help him back to sleep.
  3. Wean! This kid is very attached to nursing. He drinks cow's milk and water, but I still nurse 4 or more times a day and at night. I had gotten it down to 3 or 4 a day, but this last week Little Misters was sick from a double ear infection and teething and wanted nothing but me. I want him completely weaned by the time he turns 2.
  4. Make a new schedule. It will include play time with me and with Dad and learning time. Our mornings are usually good; it's just the afternoons that are hard.
  5. Establish discipline. I just started reading The No-Cry Discipline Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, which I got for Christmas. I hope it works for us!

1 comments:

Mrs. Sanchez said...

I love how you assessed the progress on your 2011 goals.

I think you would find useful a handout and info I have on Conscious Discipline from Becky Bailey. I searched around and couldn't find it and got frustrated because the info on her website is a bit convoluted.

If I find it I'll post it for you, it made a huge difference in how I viewed discipline. Major helpful things are telling children "what TO do instead of what not to do," ie: Instead of saying, "don't walk on the grass" you would say, "keep your feet on the sidewalk." Other revolutionary things are modeling, giving choices, discipline is kind of what I do for a living, soooo if you ever need any input or want to throw around some ideas, I would actually ENJOY it.

I'm sure you'll keep us updated on valuable insights from Pantley's book. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...