Friday, May 20, 2011

What Do Your Groceries Say about You?

photo by Cindy Kalamajka
When I go shopping, I like to look in people's shopping carts. What they buy reveals details about their lives: children, no children, healthy, unhealthy, accomplished chef, rushed cook, etc. I like to think that what I buy reflects good qualities about myself and a balanced life. I like making semi-homemade meals and cooking completely from scratch. I like to eat healthy, but I enjoy a little junk food too. I care about saving money, but I have some brand loyalties.

Here are my top five grocery purchases and what I think they say about me:
  1. Water: I drink nothing but water! I'm not much of a drinker in general and I don't like soda, so when I do drink, it's always healthy.
  2. Whole wheat bread: I am not afraid of carbs, but I make sure they are whole grain. Of course, I love getting an Italian loaf every now and then.
  3. Fresh produce: I grew up in Southern California, so I was spoiled all year round. I love tomatoes. I buy carrots for a healthy snack, especially for my husband. We put onions in everything. Our favorite fruits are oranges and strawberries.
  4. Rice: My husband's half Japanese and I'm half Puerto Rican, so rice is pretty much a staple here. I buy all kinds: brown, white, and Asian.
  5. Chicken: I grew up on poultry and seafood. My husband is from Wisconsin, a huge beef eater and a fish hater (I guess that Japanese part of him never developed). I've compromised and incorporated ground beef into my diet (it's the only red meat I know how to handle), but we eat mostly chicken. I prefer dark meat, he prefers white.
What are your top five groceries and what do they say about you?

1 comments:

Mrs. Sanchez said...

Oh, I read this when I was up in Mammoth. I wrote a ridiculously long comment and then it got deleted and I didn't rewrite.

By the way, I love looking at people's groceries and imagining what their life is like based on it. Whenever I buy junk food I think about what that says about me... ANYWAYS...

My list WAS really similar to yours until Oscar and I changed our diets around a little bit in anticipation for summer.

1) Green Leafy Vegetables - Kale, Romaine Lettuce, Spinach & Dandelion Leaves

2) Apples, Cucumbers and Carrots - these are my favorite snacks and I buy them in boatload at our cheapo grocery store

3) Oatmeal/Oat Groats - we like oatmeal.

4) Eggs, Bell Peppers, Onions & Mushrooms - yummy omelette food/sauteed sides

5) Shrimp/Chicken

**We pretty much just cut out a lot of breads/rice/cheese. Oscar is lactose intolerant and feels better when he doesn't eat that stuff. I think he just realized some of the stuff he thought was flab is really just bloat - so that motivated him to minimize that. We are trying quinoa and millet instead of rice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...