Sunday, May 1, 2011

Easy Marinara Sauce


A while ago, I wanted to make homemade marinara (red/meat/spaghetti) sauce and searched foodnetwork.com for a good recipe. I tried this one from Tyler Florence, with my own modifications. It was super easy and delicious! The resulting recipe is below.

Ingredients
  • 2 tbs. olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1 tsp. crushed garlic
  • 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes until the onions begin to appear opaque.
  2. Add the ground beef. Break up and lightly brown the meat.
  3. Pour in the canned tomatoes. Add the Italian seasoning, bay leaf, Parmesan cheese, and sugar. Stir thoroughly to mix flavors.
  4. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper to your liking. 
  5. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes (longer for thicker sauce). Stir occasionally.
Note: The sauce in the picture was made without onion. It did not taste nearly as good!

    3 comments:

    Mrs. Sanchez said...

    This sounds good. I love making stuff from scratch. We wouldn't use the ground beef, but it sounds like it would be yummy either way.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    alexandra said...

    ohhh that looks good! much better than the pizza hut we had tonight.

    Anyways, I love your website! I found you via the "let's enter each other's giveaways" group on the MBC, and just entered one of your contests. I don't have any giveaways on my site, but I was hoping you might stop by my entry on ohdeedoh & give my boys' room a vote. I'm in the smaller cooler contest & in the running for a nice shopping trip via oeuf, but need some help. Anyways, if you can, I would be super grateful! I'm following you now & looking forward to reading more!

    *here's the link to the contest:
    http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/smaller-cooler-2011/logan-haydens-mini-music-room-smaller-cooler-2011-entry-8-146135

    Reese said...

    Of course because HOW CAN YOU COOK WITHOUT ONIONS??? It's impossible!! ;)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...